Monday, September 28, 2009

Good and Bad News August 15, 2009

Hi Everyone,

I would first like to thank everyone that came to my birthday party, called me, text me, and e-mailed a birthday wish. Those who came I hope you enjoyed the tamales and cake. I loved the collective gift of the kindle!! It will go to great use believe me. And the Many flowers made my living room radiant for days. Thank you all!

Now, I would like to share with you the great news about my battle with cancer. The test showed that the spots on my lungs and the tumor in my pelvic are very small. Which means the medicine is working, it is getting rid of the cancer. I will continue on the pill and get a new test in three months. This means no chemo or radiation for now. It is extremely great news!

Unfortunately along with these great news I have to let you know that I have been in the hospital for the past week because of a bone infection on my foot. It is a serious infection that has been going on for a couple of months, but because the chemo caused severe neurapathy in my legs, I have not been aware of it at all. It was actually a "lucky" thing that I also got a skin infection on my foot last Tuesday, which brought me to the emergency room, and they were able to do a MRI and find the bone infection.

To make a long story short, or to get to the point. The next time you guys will see me I will have 9 toes instead of ten. In order for the infection to stop and not contaminate my whole foot, they will have to amputate my pinkie toe. I will still be able to walk, and the recovery is about a month.

It is a bit shocking, but it is the most aggressive way to deal with the infection, and I will just not be able to do any pinkie toe activities any more (can't think of any right know but am sure there are some, ha, ha). Am in great spirits and feel like this is the best treatment. Science is a great thing. The concept of evolution has helped develop antibiotics that can stop bacteria from destroying a body. This whole experience has given me a whole new reason to fight against the attacks on evolution and science. Being able to have as much as possible a scientific understanding of the infection, has given me the strength to make the right decision on treatment.

Am at Memorial Sloan Kettern and will be here for another 7 or ten days on antibiotics. If your thinking of sending flowers I would rather you send money since I will be out of work for about a month. You can send a check to Maria Ceja (my sister) and mail it to 530 west 157th street Apt. 2D, New York, New York 10032. Or you can just send a card with your thoughts I would love to hear from you. Am in room 1032 on the 10th floor, and my number here is 212-639-4285. I also have my cell phone with me.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon,
Quetzal

No comments: